Need help with controller configuration

Tips for the tuning of the helicopters / Tipps für die Einstellung der Helis
ThomasC

Re: Need help with controller configuration

Post by ThomasC »

hmm, I never got that message. But I must admit, that in 5-channel mode I must assign throttle and pitch channels manually after calibration, as those channels work synchronously while calibrating and Heli-X cannot automatically determine which is which. Throttle channel can be identified in controller config main window (after calibration) by activating throttlehold on transmitter. While calibrating, does every channel react in calibration window "move all sticks to their maximum and minimum positions"? Throttle stick must be responded by two channels there, otherwise 5 channels are not calibrated (throttle hold must not be activated while calibrating for 5 channel operation)
vmsda

Post by vmsda »

ThomasC wrote:... I must admit, that in 5-channel mode I must assign throttle and pitch channels manually after calibration ...
Not sure what you mean.
1. Where do you "assign" those channels?
2. Does that imply that one could have two calibration xml files, one in 5-channel mode and the other not, and load either of them when needed?
ThomasC wrote: ... While calibrating, does every channel react in calibration window "move all sticks to their maximum and minimum positions"? ...
If the calibration is going to be successful, sure they do; if they don't react, you are gonna get the "channels not detected" message. This, at least, is consistent.
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

See attached screenshot. In my case "Collective Pitch" was assigned "Z-Achse" and "Engine Speed" was assigned "Z-Rotation" after calibration. I had to manually correct this, as "Collective Pitch" channel is "Z-Rotation" in my case (here: DeviationTX controller, Heli-X under Windows 7, shown configuration is after manually reassigning the named channels correctly)
controller config with five channels
controller config with five channels
clipbrd01.png (58.48 KiB) Viewed 11471 times
while calibration it looks like this when I assign collective pitch:
while calibrating pitch
while calibrating pitch
clipbrd02.png (34.6 KiB) Viewed 11471 times
under Linux there's basically no difference, works the same way. But there you might need to use "jscal" to eliminate stick deadband, probably depends on the used Linux distribution.

You don't need different controller configuration files unless you use them under different OSes. I wrote two scripts (one for Linux, one for Windows) that move around the config files for that purpose. Once you have calibrated five channels, you are free to switch back to four channels, the fifth channel is ignored in that case.
vmsda

Post by vmsda »

Thank you for your input, ThomasC.
But before going any further, I came across the following thread, in HELI-X in Linux: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1617.
Since I am trying with exactly the same usb interface with which he failed, maybe it is not worth investing any more time. The problem is that I cannot buy the usb interface he ended up with, since the site is not fully functional.
vmsda

Post by vmsda »

Hi again, ThomasC. In the meantime, I decided to make some calibration attempts in order to show you how different my output is from the one you get.
The first is the basic calibration without the 5 channel spec:

The second shows the output of the first, but I checked the 5 channel box before doing the next stick calibrations:

In the third screen, you can see that the output of the previous calibration is exactly equal to the first!

Can anyone make sense out of that?