TX16S Setup with Edge 2.8 or greater

Installation and usage on Windows / Installation unter Windows
ElHeffe

TX16S Setup with Edge 2.8 or greater

Post by ElHeffe »

The TX16 will somewhat work out of the box in USB Joystick mode but if you want additional switches to work for Bank/Flight Mode, Rescue and Throttle Cut, some additional config is needed. That is what this post outlines. It's noted below but you will need EdgeTX 2.8 or greater!

I'm still fairly new to EdgeTx, so I can only offer very limited support. This will not work with OpenTX or EdgeTX <2.8 as they do not offer the Advanced Mode for USB Joystick Support. Link to 2.8 Release notes where the feature is announced. https://edgetx.gitbook.io/edgetx-user-m ... of_changes

Disclaimer: The following is provided "as-is". Please proceed at your own risk. I assume no liability.

Notes: This are pretty important. I'll mention them in their own section as well.
1. This setup is with EdgeTX 2.9. You will need Edge 2.8 or greater in order to use the Advanced USB Mode!
2. After changing anything in Advanced USB settings, it's better to unplug USB from the radio and reattach it. This is mainly to get Windows to rescan the device and detect changes. Yeah I understand Windows should be smarter, but this is still my advice.
3. During parts of this, you may get a black screen when loading Heli-X. I'm guessing that Heli-X isn't fully happy with something in the joystick/controller configuration, but if you unplug USB from your radio, Heli-X will continue to load. Note you'll need to load the Airport and Model manually.
4. On my TX16S, I swapped the SF and SH switches, so that, for me SF is momentary (Rescue) and SH is 2 position (Throttle Hold/Cut). If your radio is stock, then you may need to swap SF and SH in my steps below.
5. This is with AETR setup, which most people use. I haven't used other setups, so I can't speak to EATR, TAER, etc. It should work by changing the order but I have not tested.
6. I have tested these directions on a new model and found them complete but please only try this procedure if you have a reasonable understanding of EdgeTX and Heli-X. There is some implied knowledge of each which is implied and I do not cover. If you're unable to follow, you may need to become better acquainted with EdgeTX via which is how I learned much of what I know.
RC Video Reviews YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/@RCVideoReviews
7. Please do not ask for model files / EdgeTX Companion files. If someone is willing to host, I'm happy to provide but I do not check this account often and likely would not be able to supply them as quickly as most would like.
8. This could work with other EdgeTX radios given they are 2.8 or greater but I haven't tested.

Switch Mapping:
Note: On my TX16S, I swapped the SF and SH switches, so that, for me SF is momentary (Rescue) and SH is 2 position (Throttle Hold/Cut). If your radio is stock, then you may need to swap SF and SH in my steps below.
SE -> Bank/Flight Mode
SF -> Rescue
SH -> Throttle Cut

New Model Setup:
1. New Model -> Blank Model
Standard AETR setup is a good starting point. This means Aileron is channel 1, Elevator is Channel 2, Throttle is Channel 3, Rudder is channel 4.

Inputs Tab:
Name Ali -> Source Ali (should be there already)
Name Ele -> Source Ele (should be there already)
Name Thr -> Source Thr (should be there already)
Name Rud -> Source Rud (should be there already)
Hit +, Select 05 Name FM -> Source Switch SE (You can move switch SE to select it), hit Return Once
Hit + ,Select 06, Name TC -> Source Switch SH (You can move switch SH to select it), hit Return Once
Hit +, Select 07, Name RES -> Source Switch SF (You can move switch SF to select it), hit Return Once

Mixes Tab:
Channel 1 -> Source Ali (should be there already)
Channel 2 -> Source Ele (should be there already)
Channel 3 -> Source Thr (should be there already)
Channel 4 -> Source Rud (should be there already)
Hit +, Select CH5, Source TC, hit Return Once
Hit +, Select CH6, Source FM, hit Return Once
Hit +, Select CH7, Source RES, hit Return Once

Outputs Tab:
CH1 -> Name AIL
CH2 -> Name ELE
CH3 -> Name THR
CH4 -> Name RUD
CH5 -> Name TC
CH6 -> Name FM
CH7 -> Name RES
Feel free to test your inputs. You can move the following sticks/switches and you should see the values change on the right for each channel

Model Setup:
Internal RF: Off (this will save some battery)
USB Joystick (very bottom): This is where most of the configuration will be needed.
Note: After changing anything in Advanced USB settings, it's better to unplug USB from the radio and reattach it. This is mainly to get Windows to rescan the device and detect changes. Yeah I understand Windows should be smarter, but this is still my advice.
Mode: Advanced
Interface Mode: Joystick
Circular Layout: None
AIL: Axis X
ELE: Axis Y
THR: Axis Z
RUD: Axis rotX
TC: Btn, Normal, Push, Button No 3.
FM: Btn, Normal, 3POS, Button No. 0, 1, 2
RES: Btn, Normal, Push, Button No. 4

Heli-X Config:
Notes:
1. After changing anything in Advanced USB settings, it's better to unplug USB from the radio and reattach it. This is mainly to get Windows to rescan the device and detect changes. Yeah I understand Windows should be smarter, but this is still my advice.
2. If you've started your radio in Joystick mode it's possible Heli-X may load with a black screen and appear hung. Unplug your TX16S from USB, you'll get the No Joystick Detected Message and Heli-X will continue to load. You can now reattach your TX16S, You'll need to manually load the Airport and Model as well but hopefully this is a temporary issue until you get the radio configured.
3. If you make changes in the advanced USB setup of the radio and you've needed note 1 above, also be aware that it's important to redo the Stick part of the Controller setup as well. Skipping to the Smart Buttons will not detect the changes you've mode!

1. Load Heli-X (I recommend not yet attaching your radio, see note 2 above). You'll get the No Joystick Detected message. That's fine.
2. Attach your radio to USB and select USB Joystick (HD)
3. In Heli-X, Select Configuration -> Rescan USB Controllers (shouldn't be needed but doesn't hurt)
4. In Heli-X, Select Controller -> Click Sticks and complete the calibration following the prompts. IMPORTANT: On the second screen "Move all sticks to maximum and minimum positions" you'll need to also toggle radio switches SE, SF, SH!
5. You should still have the Controller Configuration Window open, Click Smart Buttons
5a. Engine on/off/Banks - Follow the prompts, move switches SE and SH as instructed. You may get a note about a partial configuration detected. Mine still worked correctly despite this warning. Note that if you don't see any of the blue bars moving, you likely didn't move your switches during the Stick Setup (step 4) above
5b. Rescue -> Follow the prompts and move SF as instructed
5c. Click OK to exit the Smart Button setup
5d. Click OK to test your new config

Hopefully everything works correctly now. If so, I suggest saving your config to a file just in case.
Configuration -> Controller -> Save