3 questions / issues with VR

Installation and usage on Windows / Installation unter Windows
azaz44

3 questions / issues with VR

Post by azaz44 »

Hi. I am testing VR and I'm so impressed with VR implementation in Heli-X. Performance is great, and ability to control menus / HUD without taking off your headset is just great. best graphics and performance from all sims I tested (Accu, next, RF).

3 issues though:

1. All photo maps are very dark in VR. They look normal in "preview window" but are dark inside the headset. I have to crank "brightness" (in Wind / Brightness) but this washes out shadows. Heli is sometimes dark, but mostly it is dark for 1 second after spawning, and then becomes lighter. Photo field is always dark. Also, when you select the airport in the dialog window, preview bitmap is dark. Like some gamma not applied to textures. It's flyable, but I think not correct and makes a very dramatic effect. Can this be adjusted somewhere?

2. I normally fly at home with a notebook, external screen and Reverb G2 headset and stuff works. But I'm just on travel in a hotel, and have same notebook and headset, but no external screen. And Heli-X doesn't run in VR. It starts, preview windows shows everything ok (camera moves when I move the headset, I can click and go to menu), but in the headset everything is black. And it shows very heavy CPU usage and ~25 FPS. What could be wrong? I downloaded the alternative installation (to be used if heli-X does not start), but no change. Notebook is powered and other sims work fine.

3. Sometimes mouse works in heli-X when I have my headset on. But sometimes not, and I have to press Win+Y key to switch the input. What could be the reason?

Besides issues, really great VR implementation. It's so great to change settings without removing the headset all the time, just so nice..
azaz44

Re: 3 questions / issues with VR

Post by azaz44 »

So I got some updates.

Issue 1 - got resolved on its own. I don't know what fixed the problem, either some rebooting of the PC, or alternative VR installation, which I did. Somehow the problem got fixed in its own and everything looks great now.

Issue 2 - so when I came back home, it was running fine. But now, I'm on travel again, in some hotel around Global 3D, and facing same issue. Screen in Heli-X VR dark, becaue of extreme CPU usage and low performance. While other sims are running fine.

And what helped, was disabling "Hybrid Mode" in Lenovo Vantage (I use Lenovo gaming laptop). Hybrid mode means, the laptop is using either nVidia graphics card when it sees you're gaming, or some limited mode for battery saving, when not gaming. Disabling "hybrid mode" helped and Heli-X is running fine now. I guess something somewhere is wrong, either with Hybrid Mode or with Java VR implementation, and it tried to use limited mode while Java VR was running.