bought WLToys V262 Cyclone - controller config?

Installation and usage on Windows / Installation unter Windows
dbasberg

bought WLToys V262 Cyclone - controller config?

Post by dbasberg »

I am completely new to R/C, Quads, and HELI-X, so excuse the questions here. I bought an WLToys V262 Cyclone and it will arrive in two days with its controller. I have a very old Esky Simulator FMS controller meant to work with software never updated to windows7 or 8. I downloaded Heli-X demo and hope it will work with either the old sim controller with no buttons at all (it is USB) or the controller that will come with the V262. I have a windows 7/64 bit and a windows 8.1/32 bit machine (actually a 64bit processor with 32bit windows 8.1). I hope I can use Heli-X with something I have. I have no experience with game consoles, but I am a pilot of SEL visual flight reference planes. I expect R/C from an external perspective to be quit different from piloting from inside a plane. I expect to crash a lot and want to work with a simulator to lower the damage to my V262.

So, can I use either of my controllers with HELI-X? I will hope to get the demo working before purchase of the simulator. What available quad model would work most like the V262? Is a V262 model in the works or contemplated?

I really look forward to learning about quads. I hope to develop skills to fly the V262 and then mount a Mobius camera to use for inspection of my 10 acres (about 4 hectares) and the surrounding country and my HAM radio tower and beam antenna (N8VY call). I look forward to the learning.

BTW, I think this forum is heavily German and my last name is 'Basberg' and there is a small community in Germany near the Belgium border with that name. I hope I can visit some day. My grandfather came from Norway with that name and I have relatives there. Also there is a ranch in South Africa with that name. If I can get away from our little farm, I would like to visit all three.

Thanks for any help, Douglas :D
JS1

Re: bought WLToys V262 Cyclone - controller config?

Post by JS1 »

Hi Douglas

I don't know either of your 2 controllers, but as you say the ESky one was meant for FMS I am pretty certain it will work with HELI-X too. Just try it with the Heli-X demo. don't forget to run the calibration from the menu. Also, since the controller does not have switches I guess, remember to assign Idle up 1 and 2 to buttons on your keyboard instead (also in the config menu).

Dunno about the WLToys controller. Probably depends on if it has a trainer port and according USB-adapter cable available somewhere.

Regards
Jan
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
dbasberg

Post by dbasberg »

Thank you Jan.

I found the FMS controller was not recognized by windows 8.1/32bit. It was recognized on my windows 7/64bit notebook. :D

I have done some practice with the Phantom quad and I see I need a lot of practice.

I am accustomed to z axis as being up/down and y axis as forward, so I had trouble with setup until I learned that y axis was defined as up/down. I do not know what 'nick' is either. I could use a glossary!

All part of the learning, so be it.

best regards, Douglas
JS1

Post by JS1 »

Maybe that helps to get started: http://www.rcheliwiki.com/ (good one for German readers is this http://wiki.rc-heli-fan.org):
Roll, pitch and yaw are rotations along the natural axes of the helicopter (or any aircraft).

A rolling movement is where the helicopter rotates along a line along its length using lateral cyclic inputs (aileron), eventually turning from right way up to inverted while maintaining the helicopter's heading.

A pitching movement (sometimes called nick, from the German to nod) is where the helicopter's nose rises or falls relative to the tail, using longitudinal cyclic inputs (elevator). Not to be confused with blade pitch or collective pitch.

A yawing movement is where the helicopter's heading is changed by rotating the nose to one side or the other around the main mast, using the anti-torque control.

A properly trimmed helicopter will have minimal tendency to rotate in any of these dimensions when the controls are released.
Note: The above are all rotations around an axis. Simply speaking, roll and pitch rotations also cause rotor discs to tilt in a direction. With thrust vector changing the helicopter will now start to move there. Rolling will make the heli move left or right, Pitch/Nick will make it go forward or backward. Adding more than a bit roll/pitch the heli will rotate too much and start to flip over. For multirotors the principle is the same but instead of tilting a rotor disc it is achieved by differential adjustments of each motor rpm (e.g. pitch forward = back motors more, front motors less rpm)
Yaw will not tilt the rotor disc obviously. To go up/down you need adjust throttle (thrust) with the according stick.

Which stick is which command is depending on the MODE of your transmitter. (see rcheliwiki under ../Transmitter_mode)
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.