Devo7e with USB sim cable and Heli-X

Questions, in particular about the usage / Fragen vor allem zu Benutzung von HELI-X
modemman

Devo7e with USB sim cable and Heli-X

Post by modemman »

Hi, not really a Heli-X question, but I was wandering if anyone uses a Devo 7e with Heli-X. I know people don't like it because the radio is only 10mw, but I like the form factor and I'd like to use it with a laptop to have a "portable sim" (fits neatly in my work backpack - lol). I currently use a Spektrum DX6i with this "USB Flight Sim Module Cable for JR" from GWS. I have to plug the USB first, then have the TX off, plug the 3.5mm jack into the TX, which then beeps and wakes up and Heli-X recognizes it and it works.

I tried to plug the cable into the trainer port of the Devo 7e and turn it on and off in different ways but can't figure out how to use it. Heli-X does not complain that there is no joystick plugged in, but I think that's because I have the USB cable in. But then the sticks don't move in Heli-X and I can't calibrate or do anything...

I have my Devo 7e flashed with Deviation 3.0.0 firmware.

Anyone has any experience with this setup?

Thanks in advance.
modemman

Re: Devo7e with USB sim cable and Heli-X

Post by modemman »

Figured it out. In case this helps someone else with a Devo flashed with the Deviation 3.0.0: the firmware does not recognize the cable being plugged in automatically. Instead, you have to make a new model profile and chose PPM as your protocol, this will stop the radio and redirect all output over the PPM bus. Then you reboot the TX by using the Re-Init command in the menu, or just turn off/on the TX. Then everything works as it should in Heli-X. By the way, the "for JR" description in my PPM->USB only means that the cable is terminated with a 3.5mm mono jack, which is compatible with my Devo, with all the Spektrums and other transmitters. Naturally, all this stuff was written in the manual for the new firmware, which I did not read...