HP Reverb G2 in Heli-X (VR) image quality

For the beta test. Do not forget to mention your computer system if it might be relevant
lama12

HP Reverb G2 in Heli-X (VR) image quality

Post by lama12 »

Hi all,

I'm still new to VR and busy figuring out how to get the most out of the visual settings for the applications I like to run on my new G2 (first VR set). Running on a GTX 1070 8GB which seems to do OK so far.

I'm trying to get better anti-aliasing / smoother model in Heli-X. However, nothing I change in the settings seems to give me that. I tried the following:
1) when setting anti-aliasing from 4x to 8x in Heli-x I see no improvement in picture quality but system performance suffers a lot.
2) when setting the mirror window size in the VR setting dialogie to say 2400 * 1800 (double both dimension of the default setting) the performance greatly suffers and no changes in picture quality.
3) when going into Steam VR settings - setting the resolution per eye from 100% to more also does not improve anything but the performance suffers.

Does anyone else with the G2 / SteamVR recognize this and can point me in the right direction??

In addition I noticed that other applications (DCS, testHMD) have a pxeldensity setting that (at the cost of performance) really smooths out the aliasing - what I hope to achieve in Heli-X. Is this something to-be-supported in Heli-X?

thx, Matthijs
Michael

Re: HP Reverb G2 in Heli-X (VR) image quality

Post by Michael »

Hi,

I cannot answer everything , but maybe this helps:

1. the mirror window is only used to catch the mouse movements for the GUI in the VR mode. As long as the Windows mouse is inside this window, the 3d mouse in VR mode will move. For the graphics quality, this window is not important.

2. Note that you have also quality settings in the Mixed reality portal of Windows.

But I am not sure how this really is used.

3. The Anti aliasing settings in the VR tab of the global settings should work. However, they really need a lot of memory, thus restricted to 4x.
lama12

Post by lama12 »

Hi Michael, I think that the quality settings in the mixed reality reality portal are only for the mixed reality 3D home environment.

steam Vr setting should imo affect the quality settings of the various apps but I haven’t found out how exactly (yet). After trying many things I couldn’t see the difference anywhere except in system performance so indeed it maybe limited to my sys memory (16G).

The one thing that did have an effect was the pixel density setting in DCS. I believe this is supersampling, thus sending a larger than native resolution to the G2 which smoothes out the aliasing. (DCS does not have an anti-aliasing setting)

Anyways, super cool to have VR in heli-X!
Vrooom

Post by Vrooom »

Instead of using the Heli-X vr menu for anti alias, I set it in NVidea’s control settings. You can set whether the quality is application controlled or the NVidea settings. I have better luck this way.
The image from the G2 is 2160 x 2160 @ 90hz. Windows vr settings has automatically detected 90hz, you need to put the 2160 in the vr menu boxes. You card will barely push 4K and low AA. My 2080 does it okay at 8x AA but still just makes the cut of low end cards. There is also some settings in the NVidea panel you might try to help bring both fps and yet look clear. Unfortunately most settings you’ll have to discover by trial and error.
lama12

Post by lama12 »

Vrooom wrote:
15 Nov 2021 06:26
... you need to put the 2160 in the vr menu boxes. ...
Hi Vrooom, thx for helping out. Above surprises me a little since the mirror window should not have an effect on the resolution, or are you referring to different VR settings?