Stream or render to video.

Your suggestion for the next versions / Deine Vorschläge für neue Versionen
ArchmageAU

Stream or render to video.

Post by ArchmageAU »

I know this is a big ask.

Would it be possible to implement a "stream to video", or even a non-real time "render recorded session to video". Even if you only support a single digital video format and a standard HD size/frame rate (1024x720 or 1920x1080 - 50 or 60 fps). Im sure there must be some libraries out there somewhere to do this as a drop in replacement for OpenGL.

I cannot get glc to complile on my Linux machine to capture to video real time, and it makes it hard to post videos of flights or techniques (with annotations) for others to follow.

At the moment, I'm experimenting with recording flights and posting archives of the recordings. This requires anyone wanting to view to download Heli-X. (maybe not a bad thing :-) ). But I need to record in scenes and with helis that are part of the demo pack (which is not too hard).

Another option would be a way to add pop-up written annotations in recorded flights. This way, distributed flight recordings can have annotations.

Just a suggestion.

I find Heli-X a great learning tool.
JS1

Re: Stream or render to video.

Post by JS1 »

Would something like Fraps for Windows provide the function you are looking for?

Here some examples I found to record your screen real-time including audio:
- Linux: recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net --> .ogg
- Linux (Free Desktop): wiki.gnome.org/Istanbul --> .ogg
- Linux (X-Windows): xvidcap.sourceforge.net/ --> .mpg
- Linux: krut.sourceforge.net/ --> .mov/wav

However I don't have Linux so I don't know if or how they work. But maybe worth a try...
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
ArchmageAU

Re: Stream or render to video.

Post by ArchmageAU »

Fraps would be good if I had Windows (it's also a commercial product).

Heli-X uses OpenGL (which works a video overlay system). Most recording programs will not work with the overlays as they shim the window manager, not interrogate the graphic card.

recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net - Will not work with OpenGL (uses Xdamage window notification)
wiki.gnome.org/Istanbul - Will not work with OpenGL
xvidcap.sourceforge.net - Will not work with OpenGL (uses Xdamage window notification)
krut.sourceforge.net - Will not record graphics overlays (OpenGL)

glc is the only one I have found for Linux that records OpenGL (and I cannot compile it).

This is why the request to be able to stream or render a recording offline.